Born in Cumbria in 1929, Kate Nicholson is the daughter of artists Ben and Winifred Nicholson and step-daughter of Barbara Hepworth. She began studying at Bath Academy of Art in 1949, where Peter Lanyon was one of her tutors. This painting, done at that time, has echoes of the faux-naif style seen in works by her parents and Christopher Wood in the 1920s. The view is from St. Ives looking across the bay to Godrevy lighthouse in the distance. On completing her studies in 1954, Nicholson taught for a couple of years in Totnes before moving to St.Ives and becoming a member of the Penwith Society of Arts. Since 1957, she has worked from her studio at Porthgwidden, St. Ives and enjoyed inspiration from other coastlines, especially the Hebrides.